What should I take with me for day surgery?
On the day of your medical treatment: what day patients should bring with them
- any medication that you are taking, including inhalers.
- a dressing gown and slippers.
- something to help pass the time, such as a book or personal stereo.
What should I pack for outpatient surgery?
Prepare for Outpatient Surgery
- A comfortable set of loose-fitting clothes and cotton underpants to wear home after surgery. The waistbands should be loose and comfortable.
- A case for your glasses, if you wear them. …
- Your inhaler, if you have asthma. …
- Your advance directive (living will), if you have one.
What should you not do before surgery?
What Not to Do: Do not smoke, eat, or drink anything, including water, candy, gum, mints and lozenges after midnight on the night before surgery. If you do not follow these instructions, your surgery may be cancelled or delayed. Do not shave your surgical area before your procedure.
Can I bring my phone to surgery?
Since many rely on cell phones for communication and information storage, you may bring your cell phone with you. However, be prepared to leave it with your accompanying adult or have it turned off during your time in the facility.
What should I wear to hospital for day surgery?
Before you head into surgery, you’ll likely be given a hospital robe to put on, so what you wear to the hospital is really up to you. However, we recommend wearing comfortable clothing and footwear that’s easy to take on and off as needed and a spare change of underwear (you’ll never know when it might come in handy).
Do you have to take all your clothes off for surgery?
What should I bring to the hospital? Since you are having day surgery, you really don’t need to bring very much with you. Most people wear the same clothes home that they wore to the hospital. It’s a good idea to bring or wear casual and loose fitting clothing so that you are comfortable on the ride home.
Can I wear a bra in surgery?
Whether you’re having breast reconstruction, augmentation, reduction or chest surgery, a supportive, wirefree bra will provide the gentle compression, support and breathability that will help your surgery site heal without any irritation.
What should I eat to prepare for surgery?
It is recommended to maintain a clear liquid diet the day before the surgery, here are some of the liquids allowed:
- Clear broths (chicken or beef)
- Juices (apple or cider)
- White grape juice.
- Tea (with no milk or honey)
- Coffee (no milk or creamer)
- Jell-O (without fruit/no red Jell-O)
- Popsicles (without fruit/cream)
Do you wear socks in surgery?
Clothing/Hygiene: We suggest loose fitting, comfortable clothing and shoes be worn the day of your surgery. You may bring socks to wear. Do not wear contact lenses, make-up, nail polish, hairpins, or jewelry, including body piercings.
How do I get my body ready for surgery?
- Stick to healthy foods. Your body needs good nutrition to fight infection and heal following surgery. …
- Avoid dehydration. …
- Practice the post-operative exercises your doctor recommends. …
- Avoid shaving or waxing. …
- Prevention of DVT/PE before surgery.
What do they give you to calm you down before surgery?
Barbiturates and benzodiazepines, commonly known as “downers” or sedatives, are two related classes of prescription medications that are used to depress the central nervous system. 5 They are sometimes used with anesthesia to calm a patient down just prior to surgery or during their recovery.
Should I wash my hair before surgery?
Your safety is our first priority. That’s why we require that you wash your hair the night before or the morning of surgery using only shampoo and conditioner. DO NOT use any other hair products after washing. This includes hair spray, mousse, gels, etc.