When can I shower after hammertoe surgery?
1) After 48 hours, you may take a quick shower and wash your incision, but DO NOT soak your foot. Stay out of hot tubs, pools, lakes, etc for 1 month. Shower time is the only time you will be briefly barefoot for the next month. Your bones are healing and need support.
How do you take a shower after foot surgery?
You can take a shower 3 days after your surgery. But you must cover your operated foot or dressing with a plastic waterproof cover or a plastic bag. Make sure you do NOT get your dressing wet. NO baths or swimming until your surgeon says it is safe to do so.
How do you shower after a non weight bearing foot?
The Safe Way to Shower After Foot Surgery
- Shower stool. Rather than balancing on one foot to shower, a shower stool lets you stay seated and comfortable. …
- Cover your boot. Whether with a plastic bag or a waterproof cast cover, you’ll need to find a way to keep your boot dry as you shower. …
- Ask for help.
How do you shower with a surgical boot?
If your doctor says to keep your boot on to shower, protect it so that it won’t get wet. Put your leg inside a plastic trash bag and tape the top around your leg. If you can take the boot off when you shower, pat the area dry after you shower. Then put the boot back on.
Can you bend your toe after hammertoe surgery?
Can you bend your toe after hammertoe surgery? It depends on the specific surgical intervention used to correct the deformity. You’ll be able to bend the toe at the MTP joint (where the toe joins the foot). If permanent screws or bone fusion were involved, you won’t be able to bend the middle toe joint.
How do you wash your hair after surgery?
If you can carefully avoid getting the dressing wet, then you should be free to shower sooner than if it is difficult to avoid. Another potential option, if you are afraid of getting your dressing wet, is to use dry shampoo, or no-rinse shampoo. These products will effectively clean your hair without requiring water.
How do you shower without weight bearing?
Showering is another common problem for people in a cast or on crutches. If there’s space, place a small chair in your shower for you to sit on so you don’t risk slipping and falling. It’s also a good idea to place a non-slip mat on the floor (in and out of the shower) so you don’t slip.
How do I keep my shower bandage dry?
Showering requires a little extra protection for your wound.
- Keep the wound dry with waterproof bandages that seal on all four sides. …
- Avoid having strong streams of water come in contact with the wound, or soaking your wound in water.
How do you shower with stitches in your foot?
After 48 hours, surgical wounds can get wet without increasing the risk of infection. After this time, you can get your stitches wet briefly with a light spray (such as in the shower), but they should not be soaked (for example, in the bath). Make sure you pat the area dry afterwards.