How do I prepare for a surgical consultation?
Have your medical history information ready, including medical problems that run in your immediate family, and bring it with you. To make things easier, ask if you can fill out your medical paperwork beforehand. Arrival at the surgeon’s office, make mental notes: Is the office clean, organized, and professional?
What three questions must you always ask a patient prior to surgery?
10 Questions to Ask Before Having an Operation
- Why do I need this operation?
- How will the operation be performed?
- Are there other treatment options, and is this operation the best option for me?
- What are the risks, benefits, and possible complications for this operation? …
- What are my anesthesia options?
What should I tell my doctor before surgery?
What to Say to Someone Before Surgery
- Discuss the options. A patient should know what are their surgical and nonsurgical options. …
- Describe the benefits. Patients need to know how the surgery will positively impact their life. …
- Explain the risks. …
- Layout the scene. …
- Set the expectations. …
- Ask them if they have any questions.
What questions should I ask my surgeon post op?
Questions to Ask your Doctor AFTER Surgery
- What possible side effects should I look for after treatment?
- What are the signs of infection?
- What do I do about constipation?
- What kind of timeframe am I looking at for recovery?
- Is it possible to completely recover from treatment of a Brain aneurysm/AVM/Stroke?
What questions does anesthesiologist ask before surgery?
Questions to Ask About Anesthesia
- What type of anesthesia do you use at your clinic?
- Based on my health history and medication list, which type is best for me?
- What are the side effects?
- How will you be monitoring me while I am under anesthesia?
- When will the anesthesia wear off?
- What risks should I be aware of?
What should you not do before surgery?
What Not to Do: Do not smoke, eat, or drink anything, including water, candy, gum, mints and lozenges after midnight on the night before surgery. If you do not follow these instructions, your surgery may be cancelled or delayed. Do not shave your surgical area before your procedure.
How do I prepare for general anesthesia surgery?
Fasting is usually necessary starting about six hours before your surgery. You may be able to drink clear fluids until a few hours prior. Your doctor may tell you to take some of your regular medications with a small sip of water during your fasting time. Discuss your medications with your doctor.
What are the things that you’re going to ask in the pre op checklist?
Before having a medical procedure, ask who will be involved in your care and whether they’re in your plan’s network.
Be sure to discuss these things in detail:
- Your health habits and medications. …
- Your use of alcohol or recreational drugs. …
- Your experience with anesthesia. …
- Your fears. …
- Your questions. …
- Your recovery.
What can prevent you from having surgery?
Examples of Conditions that May Delay Surgery Include:
- Cold or sinus infection within two weeks before surgery.
- Pneumonia or bronchitis within a month before surgery.
- Stomach virus or flu.
- Asthma attack or wheezing within two weeks before surgery.
- Chest pain which is worse than usual.